Monday, January 3, 2011

Lanzarote - 2010/12

Lanzarote is one of our favourite training destinations. It has some great swimming and running facilities at Club la Santa and great bike riding around the island. The area is hilly and always windy and hot which provides challenging conditions all year round.


This year we managed to get away for our trip to Lanzarote for the Christmas period week. Unlike in the previous years I concentrated mainly on cycling with some good riding doing base miles, but trying not to completely destroy myself so early in the season.

My favourite climb is the Tabayesco road to the top of the Haria mountain:

This year I did the climb twice, both times as part of a long ride.



Towards the end of the week I was starting to feel quite strong and the second time up the climb I posted a time of 36 minutes flat averaging 252W. I was happy with that given that it's still very early in the season.


In total I did just over 300 miles over 5 riding days, 10km of swimming over 3 swims, one good run and a few good core conditioning sessions. A good training week.

This time we were staying at a resort in Puerta del Carmen, which was actually very comfortable and located a little bit away from the busy areas with a 3km walk to town. It was nice to be located in a quiet place and be able to get some good rest.

As usual we enjoyed our annual Lanzarote trip. It was so nice to get away from the cold UK weather and spend some time outside in the sun and get some decent training done. We came back relaxed and I'm not even as tired as I've normally been after a training camp so I'm looking forward to another 3 weeks of training at home and then a trip to Majorca.

1 comment:

uma said...

read sth on contador i've just come across:
http://www.sport.pl/sportGW/1,91756,9027462,Contador___Mistrz_falszywie_pozytywny_.html
hard to know what to think..
cheerio:)